How do I upgrade my WordPress version?Posted by Daniel on July 16, 2013
Every so often WordPress will come out with an upgraded version, which you'll want to take advantage of for security purposes, and to get the latest features. To upgrade your WordPress version, follow these steps:
- Login to WordPress at http://www.yourdomainname.com/wp-admin with your administrator username and password. If you need help recovering your password, you "Lost Your Password?" link, or if we developed your website here at Slamdot you can contact us by emailing email@example.com.
- If you are not using the most recent version, there will be a notation at the top of the page informing you that a new version is available, along with a "Please update now" link. Click that link to get started.
- This will take you to a list of available updates. If your WordPress needs to be updated you will see a blue "Update Now" button.
- Click the blue "Update Now" button, and you may be asked to enter in your FTP password. If you are a Slamdot customer and you do not know your FTP password you can contact us for this information by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are not a Slamdot customer you will need to contact your web host or web developer who originally helped develop your website.
- Once you have entered in the FTP password click the "Proceed" button.
- It can take several minutes for the updates to complete, during which time your site will be down and will display a message that it is "briefly unavailable for scheduled maintenance." Please do not interrupt the updating process as doing so could cause problems on your site.